Job Posting: Digital Designer – Website Design
Published on September 28, 2017
Geek Chicago is a digital marketing agency and technology consulting firm that is committed to providing services to small- and medium-sized businesses and the political world. Geek specializes in website design and development, as well inbound/digital marketing - including content writing/creation, search engine optimization, social media, and digital communications. The company provides businesses the freedom to focus on what they do best, by streamlining processes and making technology work.
Geek Chicago is looking for a visual designer who can assist with both graphic design and website design.
The candidate should be an aspiring, and inspired, graphic design candidate to who can support the needs of our clients by sourcing and developing digital imagery on our clients' website and blogs. Additionally, they will work with our staff and clients to design website mock-ups that. Our clients work across multiple industries, including real estate, architecture, law, politics, financial services, insurance, and home services. Applicants should have a familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, Adobe InDesign, and/or Adobe Illustrator (or similar.) Some exposure to, or experience with, basic web design concepts (HTML, CSS) is strongly preferred.
This is a position for an entry-level to experienced candidate or associate, though we will consider an internship with the possibility of extension. Previous professional experience is not required, but samples of digital assets (newsletters, images, websites) are requested. The position will be 20-28 hours a week initially, with the expectation of growth. Compensation will depend on experience, generally in the $13-16 range. The work can be performed partially remotely with twice weekly in person meetings.
Who You Are
- Motivated working remotely as well as collaboratively in the office
- Excited for collaboration and implementation of your designs
- Adaptive and creative in problem-solving
- Eager to learn and expand within the company
Your focus within Geek Chicago will be creative and technical. Working with both clients and internal content writers, the responsibilities will be as such:
- Collaborate with clients and our content writers on the creation of client websites, digital newsletters, infographics, blog imagery, and banner art all the while incorporating creative direction in layouts and design that represent both internal and client branding
- Understand multiple client brands and nuances, providing initial mock up websites that meet client objectives and user needs, all within client brand guidelines
- Continue to develop basic web development skills (HTML, CSS) to improve design compatibility with developers
- Carry out small website modification tasks, and with internal training, learn web development concepts
Skills and Expertise:
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, or other graphic manipulation tools
- Ability to learn new concepts quickly, with a desire to expand knowledge into other areas of web design and development
- Capacity to work independently and remotely, while adhering to a prescribed delivery schedule
- Capability to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines while maintaining attention to detail
- Strength in establishing visual hierarchy, layout, typography, and color effectively
- Preferred: Experience with basic web design concepts and semantics. Wordpress or Joomla development a major bonus.
- Basic SEO knowledge is considered, but not required
Please send your resume and (2-4) digital assets/links in the form below.