Job Posting: Website / WordPress Development Associate
Published on April 21, 2021
Geek Chicago is a digital marketing agency and web development firm that is committed to serving growing businesses and the political world. Geek specialized in website design & development, as well as inbound marketing - including content writing/creation, search engine optimization, social media, digital communications, and reputation management.
Geek helps clients enrich their brands and grow their audiences. Our clients work across multiple industries including real estate, architecture, law, politics, financial services, and home services.
Geek Chicago is seeking an experienced website developer with in-depth understanding of WordPress. Responsibilities include supporting and maintaining current Wordpress websites, and developing Wordpress websites from scratch, developing WP themes, and possibly developing plugins.
Experience is a must. You should understand how to develop custom WordPress themes and plugins from scratch, as well as working with common plugins such as Advanced Custom Fields. You should have some comfort troubleshooting database query issues causing loading delays, as well as in-depth troubleshooting of common PHP and JS errors. We do provide support to other platforms such as Shopify. Any other experience beyond this is a bonus. Applicants should have a familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, Adobe InDesign, and/or Adobe Illustrator (or similar.)
This is a position for an experienced candidate / associate. Previous professional experience is not required, but samples of digital assets (newsletters, images, websites) are requested. The position will be in the range of 30 hours a week up to full-time. Compensation will depend on experience, generally in the $15-17 range. The work can be performed partially remotely with twice weekly virtual meetings.
Who You Are
- Motivated working remotely as well as collaboratively in the office
- Excited for collaboration and implementation of your designs
- Adaptive and creative in problem-solving
- Eager to learn and expand within the company
Your focus within Geek Chicago will be creative and technical. Working with both clients and internal content writers, the responsibilities will be as such:
- Collaborate with clients and our content writers on the creation of client websites, digital newsletters, infographics, blog imagery, and banner art all the while incorporating creative direction in layouts and design that represent both internal and client branding
- Understand multiple client brands and nuances, providing initial mock up websites that meet client objectives and user needs, all within client brand guidelines
- Continue to develop web development skills and learn new technologies / strategies
Skills and Expertise:
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, or other graphic manipulation tools
- Good understanding of content management systems.
- Basic understanding of search engine optimization principles.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Excellent visual design skills. Strength in establishing visual hierarchy, layout, typography, and color effectively.
- Up-to-date experience with international web protocols, standards, and technologies.
- Ability to learn new concepts quickly, with a desire to expand knowledge into other areas of web design and development
- Capacity to work independently and remotely, while adhering to a prescribed delivery schedule
- Capability to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines while maintaining attention to detail
- Preferred: Experience with basic web design concepts and semantics. Wordpress or Joomla development a major bonus.
- Basic SEO knowledge is considered, but not required
Please send your resume and examples of your work in the form below.